Boy, 19, Robs With Toy Gun …And Gets 10 Years Jail Term

NICKNAMED BY witnesses as an apprentice in armed robbery, Ebenezer Turkson, alias Abeiku has managed to secure for himself, a ten-year stay at the Nsawam prisons after being found guilty of attempted robbery. Ebenezer, 19, had his 10 years sentence following his robbery and car snatching attempt on Steven Yaw Anokye, a taxi driver in the Central region at gun point. The gun was, however, found to be a toy. His robbery attempt was not successful as the victim defended himself and managed to secure help from neighbors to get hold of him after fleeing the scene. A search on Ebenezer upon grabbing him from his hideout by a mob from the community where the robbery occurred revealed that the gun with which he threatened his victim and robbed him was a toy gun. He was subsequently handed over to the police. The facts of the case are that the convict, on September 12, 2013 at around 1:30am engaged the services of a Nissan Taxi with registration number GX2925-12 around Odorkor in Accra under the pretext of hiring him to Agona Kwanyako in the Central region. When they reached Gomoa Dasum, a suburb of the Gomoa Akoti and Agona Kwanyako motor way, the suspect, pulled out a gun and robbed the driver of the Taxi, Steven Anokye of all his belongings including money at gun point. The convict afterwards seized the keys to the Taxi which the victim Anokye resisted and struggled not to allow him snatch his car. The struggle went on until a hunter surfaced at the scene, compelling Ebenezer to run away with the key. His cowardice act compelled the victim together with the hunter to scream for attention from neighbors who went on a town search until Ebenezer was dragged from his hideout at Gomoa Bewadze. He was handed over to the police and was arraigned before the Swedru Circuit Court on September 19, 2013. Ebenezer, then, a suspect pleaded not guilty to the charges leveled against him and was remanded by the judge, Nathaniel K. Osam. His docket was later handed over to the Attorney General’s department for advice. The suspect was on March 15 2014 again made to reappear before the Swedru Circuit Court. At the court, the suspect once again pleaded not guilty and the case was adjourned to July 30 2014. The case, however, took a dramatic turn when under the escort of police personnel the suspect began crying and pleaded to be sent back to the court to confess. The case was re-heard and he pleaded guilty, acknowledging all charges against him. The case was afterwards adjourned to Wednesday, April 23, 2014 for final ruling. The new judge, Animah Asare found the suspect guilty of attempted armed robbery and sentenced him to 10 years imprisonment in hard labour.