Ayittey Powers Dodges Jail

An Accra Circuit Court has struck out the case in which a professional Ghanaian boxer Michael Ayittey Okine, has been accused of taking monies from two businessmen in Kumasi to the sum of GH�14,000 under the pretext of securing them visas. The boxer, affectionately called Ayitey Powers said he has funded the monies to the complainants when he appeared before the court presided over by His Honour Aboagye Tandoh. Prior to the court decision, the complainants told the court that, the accused person did not pay the money on time and therefore he should be compelled to compensate them. But, lawyer for Powers, Jerry Shaib read a contract document signed by all the parties to the agreement and pointed out to the court that, there was no time limit as to when his client was to finish paying them the monies. Moment, later they reached and the complainants were paid GHc500.00 as compensation. The case was accordingly struck out by the judge and the parties urged to go in peace. The boxer has pleaded not guilty to defrauding by false pretences and was granted bail to the sum of GH�50,000 with two sureties. It was the case of the prosecutor, Chief Inspector Isaac Agbemehia, that the complainants are Nana Oppong Yaw of Asuoyeboah and Kofi Asante of Abrepoh Junction in Kumasi. And that in November, 2013, Ayittey Powers took advantage of his boxing profession to acquire visas for some Ghanaians to travel to Australia as part of his boxing team. According to him, some Ghanaians resident in Australia who heard the deal, went and met the boxer and told him they wanted some family members to join them, and he promised he could assist by acquiring visas for them. As a result of that he said, Nana Oppong paid the sum of GH�6,500 to the accused while Asante gave him GH�7,500. Ayittey Powers, the prosecutor said took the passports of the complainants and said he was going to acquire visas for them. He said even though the complainants were not boxers, the accused acquired boxers� identification cards for them from the boxing authority, which he forwarded to the Australian High Commission and showed evidence to the complainants on February 12, 2014. The prosecutor further told the court that the complainants were not satisfied with the outcome of their visa applications and asked the boxer for a refund, but he failed to do so. They reported the matter to the police and the boxer was arraigned before court.