Shop owners at Kaneshie Market in Accra are still counting their loss, as fire on Monday, August 17, 2015 gutted their wares beyond recognition.
Three shops were consequently razed down.
Although the cause of the fire was not immediately known, the affected shop owners attributed it to the erratic power supply known in the local parlance as ‘dumsor.’
A wig seller, Maame Yaa Akoto, whose shop was among the three, told our reporters that the power went off on Monday night, when the shop owners had closed, leaving on their power switches.
“…and when the power came back this morning, the voltage at that time was too high and as a result set the shops ablaze,” she said.
Apart from a jeans shop that was completely burnt, a forex bureau close to the shop was also partly affected.
And with frustration and despair written on their faces, the victims appealed to government for assistance.
“The government must sit up and solve this dumsor issue once and for all, and stop giving promises all the time,” the affected shop owners averred.
They recounted how fire had continuously gutted many shops in the market, leading to loss of thousands of Ghana cedis.
“Our lives are dear and for that matter President Mahama must sit up and do something since he is the president of the nation,” they added.
Meanwhile the owner of the jeans shop, this paper learnt, subsequently suffered a heart attack when he arrived at the scene of the fire and was quickly rushed to hospital.
The affected shop owners were, however, full of praise for the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) for their quick response which saved others shops and properties from getting burnt.
|Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.|