North Tongu Member of Parliament Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa has commended Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta for the measures that have been introduced in the budget statement to deal with tidal waves in Keta and other coastal areas.
Mr Ofori-Atta has made budgetary allocations to complete feasibility studies for the coastal communities that have been affected by the tidal waves.
Announcing adjustments to the 2022 budget statement at a press conference in Accra on Monday December 6, the Finance Minister said “In respect of the unfortunate tidal waves which rendered about 3,000 people homeless in Keta, we shall make the necessary budgetary allocations of at least GHS10 million to complete the Feasibility and Engineering studies for the coastal communities adversely affected.
“We will broaden the scope of the study to consider a more comprehensive solution to protect Ghana’s 540 Km of coastline,
including the 149 Km between Aflao and Prampram. Meanwhile, NADMO has responded to the humanitarian crisis created by the tidal waves on the Keta coastline.”
This comes after Energy Minister and MP for Manhyia South, Dr Mathew Opoku Prempeh threatened to demonstrate against him if he made allocation to complete the Keta Sea Defence project.
He told Asempa FM last week that “How can you the opposition tell me that I should include funding for construction of Keta sea defence in the budget? Was there budgetary allocation for Kumasi flooding? If Finance Minister includes it, I’ll also lead the Kumasi residents to demonstrate.”
Commenting on this in a tweet, Mr Ablakwa said “I commend Hon. Ken Ofori-Atta for ignoring the bigoted & incendiary threats from a cabinet colleague & going ahead to make an allocation for preparatory works on Phase 2 of the Blekusu Coastal Protection Project. Welcome news to the over 4,000 displaced Ghanaians. One Ghana.”
I commend Hon. Ken Ofori-Atta for ignoring the bigoted & incendiary threats from a cabinet colleague & going ahead to make an allocation for preparatory works on Phase 2 of the Blekusu Coastal Protection Project.
Welcome news to the over 4,000 displaced Ghanaians.
One Ghana 🇬🇭
— Sam Okudzeto Ablakwa (@S_OkudzetoAblak) December 6, 2021
|Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.|